Re: Quenched gap (Re: Fritz vs TCBOR -- initial results in...)

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 >  >         Somewhat similar, but many more SQUARE copper plates serving
as fins
 >  > for AIR cooling.  The central sparking area is very similar.  Spacing
 >  > washers are fiber instead of mica, which of course would be much
 >  > better.  Can you tell how the plates were built?  One piece turned down
 >  > or an electrode placed in the middle of the circular copper fins?
 >
 > I disassembled the gap again today to take a better look. The disks look
 > as copper, of bronze, about 3 mm thick and with ~10 cm of diameter.
 > They have a rised ring, and at the center the actual gap that seems to
 > be an insert with a harder gray metal. The gaps are made with two of
 > these disks face to face, separated by three mica washers. The two
 > lateral washers go only to the rised ring. The central washer separates
 > the rings and leaves free only the space in front of the central
 > inserts.
 >
 > The complete gap has space for three gaps, but only two were installed.
 > The other was replaced by a metal ring.
 >
 >  >         I remember those very neat pictures and still am impressed with
 > the old
 >  > equipment you seem to find.  I suspect there's nothing like that left in
 >  > the U.S., or at least nothing outside a museum.
 >
 > When my university received those parts as a donation (they were stored
 > in a basement for 50 years), the idea was to make a museum exhibit with
 > them, but so far nobody, except myself, become interested in them. I
 > restored more of less well some parts, but there is a lot to be
 > done yet.
 >
 > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	I noticed the grey color in your pictures and wonder if it is
tungsten?  When you speak of "complete gaps" do you mean the parts that
are enclosed inside erach water cooling device, or the total number of
gaps in the complete assembly?

Ed