Re: tapered wire for secondary

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Virtualgod" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
 >
 > The current decreases exponentially as you go up the secondary, so I would
 > think it would make very little difference with the relatively short
 > distance the higher current has to go, certainly not enough to switch wire
 > guages every 50 turns. Maybe it might make a difference if the coil was ran
 > in CW mode in a SSTC/VTTC and it was getting downright hot after a 30 second
 > run...

The current decreases, in a first approximation, as a cosinusoid, ending
at an angle smaller than 90 degrees at the terminal. Not an
exponential. In a coil with a significant terminal the currents at the
bottom and at the top are not so different. Maybe the current at the
top is 50% of the current at the bottom.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz