Re: Converting to "Pig Power"

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Randy, Ed,

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
>Ed, and list
>
>The reason given by Dr. Resonance for grounding one of the HV terminals
>(and I liked the idea) was to put the bottom of the secondary and the
>center of the primary at the same potential. Also this configuration would
>leave me with only one HV line to run.

Exactly. That's how I run these days. I have a 2-bushing pig and simply tie
1 bushing to RF and run the other to the coil. The inside of the primary is
at the same potential as the bottom of the secondary (RF ground). Without
that, there is "some" potential difference between the two coils. I'm not
sure there is a great deal of difference that might force pri to sec
arcing, but I liked the idea of knowing the beginning of the inner primary
is at RF ground. David Rieben is the one that turned me on to this about 2
years ago. I also like less mess with cables.

>My coil is currently tuned, and unless someone had a reason to not just
>shoot the power to it; then that was the plan.

Agree with Ed here. It is certainly better to control the both voltage and
current then to just throw a switch. Hopefully, you can find a suitable
variac for the purpose.

>120 instead of 240 first certainly. Don't get me wrong, I would very much
>like to ramp it up slow, but I'm not sure that my Variac is quite large
>enough to deal with 30+ amps.

I don't remember if you described your ballasting scheme (please forgive if
you already posted it), but with an adjustable inductance, you can limit
the current down to well below 30+ amps.

>If anyone can tell me how to figure out the current ratting of my variac,
>I would appreciate it(it came without an ID plate). I like the idea of
>bringing it back down slow as well, rather than just opening the contacts
>on the relay.

Maybe you can post some winding dimensions, wire size, core dimensions,
etc.. and we can probably tell you the current rating. BTW, I'm also one of
those that cut the core in a perfectly good Powerstat 28A variac which I
use for a ballast. Why? Simply because I only had this variac available at
the time and knew I would be running well over from time to time. If this
variac would have been in the 40 or 50 A range, I would not have cut it. I
also use an identical variac for the voltage control (this one of course is
not cut - just a normal variac in normal voltage adjusting application).

Take care,
Bart