RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Ed,

 > 1. I would think the quenching time (if it is affected by the magnetic
 > field) would vary INVERSELY as the magnetic field, since the force is
 > proportional to the field times the current flowing.  Higher flux would
 > accelerate the ions "sidewise" more and result in shorter time.

My thought is that current cannot flow across the gap until a critical
potential is reached on the gap terminals.  Regardless of the current,
potential is the defining characteristic which determines the time when the
spark will jump.  I view magnetic flux as a two dimensional (length squared)
surface of a three dimensional (length cubed) magnetic field.  The magnetic
flux behaves as a barrier to potential.  Magnetic flux is like a wall which
holds back electrons and thus increases electrical pressure.

 > 2. There is no force until a current flows so I can't say any way
 > magnetic flux could prevent the gap from firing.

There is electrostatic potential, which does exert a force.  And since the
potential building up on the spark gap terminals is due to the electrostatic
charge on the capacitor plates, it does seem like a reasonable explanation.

Dave