RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >How did you measure the 2 joules input? Did you use a wattmeter at the
 >input? How many watts did it show? Refer to my reply to Dr. Resonance.

Hi John

I inferred the input energy from the initial voltage on the tank capacitor.
In the case of the OLTCs this is low enough to measure easily with a
peak-hold meter or oscilloscope.

On my spark gap coil, I set the static gap to break down at a known voltage.
This is obviously a bit less accurate than measuring the voltage directly.

The best way to deliver a known energy with spark gap coils would be to
charge the tank capacitor off a regulated HVDC supply, and use a triggered
gap. But this is pretty complex and expensive. Anyway, I think OLTCs are
similar enough to sparkgap coils that findings from OLTCs will be directly
applicable.

Steve C.