Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Gary,

Before vacuum tube or solid state high voltage rectifiers were available,
synchronous mechanical rectifiers were used to synchronously switch (like a
mechanical H-bridge!) the output from a HV transformer to create HV DC for
X-ray machines and electrostatic precipitators. They tended to be large,
loud, and needless to say, sparked a lot, and made tons or RFI...  :^)

Here are a couple of examples:
http://home.freeuk-dot-net/dunckx/wireless/bridge/bridge.html
http://www.iavalley.cc.ia.us/~thatcher/snookdia.jpg

Best regards,