From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 8:41 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Arc and heat.

  > Any way I started playing with it with no water in it.  I let it run
for
  > about 2 minutes and found the copper pipe to be much hotter than the
  > loop.  I figured this was due to the loop having more thermal mass.
So I
  > turned it on and played with the spark for about 20 minutes.  Then I
found
  > the loop side had heated up but still not nearly as much as the
copper
  > pipe.  Got an infrared thermometer on order so it's the touch it and
see
if
  > it leaves a mark method for now. J

Get one of those inexpensive "instant read" meat thermometers at the
supermarket.  Turn it on, touch the probe to the surface, and you get
the
temperature in a matter of seconds.

or, if you want to measure temp while it's running, get a regular
mechanical
meat or barbecue thermometer (with the dial) and figure out how to
attach
it.  In both cases, the "sensitive tip" is what you need to attach (high
temp epoxy? A small hole that you press fit into?)

BTW, those IR thermometers assume a particular emissivity of the thing
they're looking at so make sure you look it up for your copper and apply
the
right cal factor.