RE: THOR: First observations on streamer formation (try II)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 14 Mar 2004, at 18:06, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >

 > Gerry -
 >
 > The secondary voltage is in KV. The equation should read
 >
 >     Secondary KV = 65 x (inches^0.7)
 >
 > A 30 inch continuous spark would be 703 KV with Tesla coils. Streamers
 > for this voltage could be over twice this length. In other words
 > random 5 foot streamers terminating in air could be about 700 KV. This
 > equation is based on data from coilers in the past. Present and future
 > data may change it.
 >
 > John Couture

Just to throw the party into confusion, the coil I have at work isn't
capable of producing more than 400kV, yet throws sparks beyond 5' in
repetitive operation. About 11" or so single shot for the record.
Ironically, (65 x 60")^0.7 gives about 340kV which is quite
believable and in all likelihood, a total fluke.

Somebody said that you can't judge voltage by sparklength. I have
been saying that for years but have always qualified the statement by
adding "in repetitive operation". Single shot at rather modest output
voltages is another matter entirely.

Malcolm

<snip>