Re: GFIs and TCs

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
>Does a GFI act as a circuit breaker in addition to just comparing currents
>on both lines? (Will it trip for excessive currents even if both lines
>have matched currents?)
>Also, do GFIs work well in TC applications? (would a rail strike trip the
>thing every time?)

Just to clarify, I believe that there may be two types of devices in
discussion here.

A GFI (ground fault interruptor?) sounds like what I'd call an ELCB (earth
leakage circuit breaker).  As far as I am aware, this operates on current
flowing through the earth conductor as opposed to an RCD (residual current
device) or RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) which trips when there
is a difference in current flowing through the phase/live/active/hot and
neutral conductors.  I seem to recall something from college about RCCBs
taking over from ELCBs.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

An RCD will trip if you sneeze in the wrong direction or don't speak to it
nicely - I have no personal experience of them supplying power to a TC
service but think that they would be Bad News(tm) as some of the "noise"
thrown back into the supply could cause them to trip.  Good filtering and,
if available, a nice big isolation transformer could help here.

To answer the original question, our new consumer unit has a pair of 40A
RCDs, each protecting a number of circuits.  That's a 40A over-current trip
plus a 30mA differential (RCD) trip in one switch.  Devices such as an
immersion heater and oven/hob do not pass through RCDs.  My thought would
be to a) have a separate supply for your TC, not passing through an RCD,
provided that local wiring regulations permit it or b) if forbidden, ask
them to wire a point for your new electric oven in your shed/cellar/etc ;-)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy