Re: Kool-Aid Acid Test, condesation of mists?

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

 > Sounds to me like an electrostatic precipitator, invented by Fred Cottrell
 > back in 1907.  Google found this:
 > <http://www.invent-dot-org/hall_of_fame/34.html> but there's much more material
 > out there on construction methods, etc.
 >
 > I built a Cottrell device last year to try to get some of the dust out of
 > the air in the house.  Air passes through corona wires, dust acquires a
 > charge and is then attracted to subsequently opposite-charged plates.  Mine
 > used a flyback and voltage multiplier to provide the charges.  AC works as
 > well but with different characteristics.

	Our furnace has a similar device, made by Honeywell.  Uses a
transformer with voltage quadrupler using HV selenium rectifiers and
paper filter capacitors, both of which failed in a few years and were
replaced by more modern stuff.  There's a red-green meter on top of the
thing for trouble shooting.  The wire assembly is removable for periodic
washing.  The thing collected quite a bit of dust on it but can't say
what fraction of the stuff going through it.  Down right now and I've
been too lazy to pull it out and look at it.

Ed