Re: IR2153 MOSFET Gate Driver ...

Original poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi Rajesh

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Rajesh Seenivasan" <rajeshkvs-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>Hi,
>
>Did anyone use IR2153 or IR2153D for gate drive in the SSTC design ?
>It is a self-oscillating Half bridge driver.
>Is it possible to design a H Bridge driver using one or two IR2153 chips ?
>Has anyone done that before ?

I am in fact working on a half bridge induction heater using this chip.
Suggest using either IR2153D or IR21531D .  Later part has reduced deadtime
over former, and both with D suffix has bootstrap diode (for upper MOS
driver) integral to chip.  Also by pulling Ct terminal down to ground
immediately disables both outputs of chip, allowing 555 staccato
modulation.  There is a way
to connect two chips in a "master-slave" arrangement to allow full-bridge
operation.  Useful tune range of ~30kHz to >500kHz.  It is intended as a
flourscent light ballast controller, however there are several circuits
posted on IR's website as well as on the WWW that shows chip being used as
a half-bridge power supply controller (check Pupman archives on my previous
postings on this chip).

I believe the chip will successfully control a small (<1kW) SSTC.  With
200mA sink/source
currents you are limited in size of FET's that can be driven, I'm
reasonably sure that output impedance of '2153 is a litle high for IGBT's
unless induction heating grade (like Fairchild SDH40N60UFD) is used.  I
have a schematic of a commerical plama globe (24") using one of these chips
with a 24-30VDC PS as the globe controller.

>Any circuit schematic will be very helpful.
>
>Thanks and regards,
>Rajesh.

I posted one recently with last mods suggested by Marco Denacolai for THOR
PS.  Check Pupman archives.  This is circuit has not been built as yet, and
is conceptual so USE AT OWN RISK!

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA