RE: Watt meters

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 19 Mar 2004, at 10:13, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >

 > Gerry -
 >
 > The interesting thing about watt meters and watthour meters is that
 > they both use currents to operate them. There are three types of
 > currents, active, reactive, and total currents. They form a right
 > angle triangle when drawn on paper. The reactive current is sometimes
 > called an imaginary current. These are the ones to watch out for. You
 > can take shocks from these imaginary currents and never get hurt. When
 > you see these currents on your oscilloscope keep in mind that you are
 > looking at imaginary currents and that they do not exist. It is
 > obvious why people have trouble understanding how these meters work.

I have never heard of a reactive current being called imaginary but
it is anything but imaginary as someone who has connected themselves
to it can attest. The fact that a reactive current is 90 deg out of
phase with voltage does not make it unreal. There are plenty of
suffering switches and circuit breakers in the world which give
witness to that fact.

      Reactive currents are simply current flows which aren't
contributing to doing work.

Malcolm