Re: Capacitance of Adjacent Spheres

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
 >
 > Hi Antonio,
 >
 > Thanks, I had seen your paper already.  Does the equation in section VIII
 > produce capacitance in terms of length?  It is unclear to me.

The formulas apply to two spheres with radii a and b, with a distance c
between their centers, c>(a+b). The formulas for one sphere inside the
other are different.
You have to compute first the terms below and then evaluate the series
to find the three capacitance coefficients k11, k22, and k12.
The actual capacitance -between- the spheres, assuming opposite charges
on them, is given by (k11*k22-k12^2)/(k11+k22+2*k12).
You see that the formulas are complicated, but trivial for a computer.
The Inca program can do all the calculations.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz