Re: early rotary gap

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hey Ed,

You're comment that " Tesla  was brilliant and innovative but never
brought
any of his stuff to commercial fruition" will surely attract some
opposition.My first thought was induction motors and Niagra falls Lets
not
forget this started because Mike was making a joke!Or trying to anyway
0:)
Didn't someone else write that Tesla said he had "nothing against
Marconi
,after all, he's using 13 ? of my patents"
Bill Mck."

Bill:

	No argument about what you say here; I've already posted a
clarification to that.  For both his polyphase inventions and his
single-phase induction motor we have much to be grateful for, although
I'm sure it wouldn't have been at most a few years before someone else
came up with the same thing, since this was a very active field at the
time and there were plenty of other smart (but probably not brilliant
guys) working to exploit it.  What I was referring to was that it was
actually Westinghouse, his money, and his manufacturing capability who
brought those inventions to the market, and that Tesla was not the
entrepeneur in the sense that Marconi was.

Ed