Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Luke,

The physics of arcs is very complex, and the following is a horrendously
oversimplified way to get a ballpark estimate for arc voltage drop. The
steady state arc voltage drop is a function of the distance between the
electrodes, electrode materials, and the atmospheric gas(es) surrounding
the arc. Also, if the electrodes are made from different materials, the
polarity of the applied current may also affect the voltage drop.

An arc has three regions - the cathode region, the arc column (called the
positive column for historical reasons), and the anode region. The total
voltage across the arc is the sum of the voltage drops in these three
regions. The physical length of the anode and cathode regions and
transition regions that grade into to the main arc column are relatively
small - only 10^-1 cm in the case of arcs at atmospheric pressure.

An estimate for the voltage across a free burning arc that has reached
local thermal equilibrium can be represented as:

   Varc =     Va       +      Vc       +      E*X
          [Anode Drop]  [Cathode Drop]  [Arc Column Drop]

where E is the field strength in the arc column and X is the length of the
column. Va and Vc are relatively fixed for a given electrode material and
the voltage drop across the arc column scales linearly with increasing
column length. For short arcs, the first two terms dominate, while the
third term dominates for long arcs.

A free burning, high intensity arc will dissipate a minimum of 100,000 -
200,000 W/m depending on arc shape. A very rough approximation for the
E-field within the arc column for air at STP as a function of arc current
(I) is:

     E ~ 10^5/I to 2*10^5/I   (Volts/meter)

As can be seen, the approximate arc column voltage drop voltage is
inversely proportional to current and proportional to arc length.

Using the above relationship, E is found to be approximately 10-20 Volts/cm
for a 100 amp arc. Vc is typically 8-12 Volts, and Va is 2-12 Volts
depending upon electrode materials. For copper, Va is about 9 Volts and Va
is about 6 Volts, so the "ballpark" estimate for a 100 ampere arc across a
one gap between copper electrodes would be 25-35 Volts. This would drop to
only 16-17 volts for a 1000 amp arc. You can see a set of curves for the
voltage drop for arcs between copper electrodes in section 5.1 of the
reference I cited in my previous post:
http://www.elkraft.chalmers.se/GU/EEK195/lectures/Lecture7.pdf

BTW, in a copper pipe TC spark gap the actual gap voltage across each gap
may be 5-10 times larger than the steady state values since the gaps never
come close to reaching local thermal equilibrium.

Hope this helped and best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP