Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: Kreso Bukvic <kreso.bukvic-at-kc.htnet.hr>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:58 PM
Subject: Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

 > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Kreso,
 >
 > At 11:58 PM 2/26/2004, you wrote:
 > >I have 5 coils until now ( ops four i sold a small one on e-bay)! The
 > >biggest project of mine was a TC with 10 kV 100 mA nst ( original primary
 > >voltage 220 V i used variac all the way to 260 so i guess there was more
 > >voltage out ). I like tesal coils i use them all day ( dont worry Terry
give
 > >me a MMC and you will see it blew to the sky). This coil on resonant rise
 > >produced 4 foot sparks, i had a Gregs filter on the nst. One day i was
 > >little bit on the mad side and wanted to see what this baybe can do and i
 > >stretched spark gap ( rq gap ) so wide it would barely fire wow it make 6
+
 > >foot arcs so i leaved it that way! It worked for some time then i take a
 > >step up i remowed filter from nst ( resistors eat up some power ) and i
 > >squezed a centimeter or two more of spark. Pity, safety spark started
firing
 > >so i remowed it to and squezed a little bit more. Then the coil had a
10-15
 > >LONG runs in 2 days :-). Two days after i turned it on and BOOOOOM my
 > >Maxwell well you allready know what happened! The i made SW caps and
result

 > I see!!  I think you said before that you were using super strong NSTs.
If
 > you resonant that up.  You may get like 80,000 volts!!  You may have gone
 > way over voltage on your  Maxwell and that would also explain the fact
that
 > the dielectrics were full of holes.
NO THIS FAS A FART JUNK! MY NEW SUPER STRONG NST-S CAN TAKE 10 TIMES BIGGER
VOLTAGE.
WELL THEY ARE MADE BY ORDER FROM A HV PROFFESIONAL BUT THAT CAN BE SEEN ON A
BILL :-)

 > >was not so good so i used quick and dirty async gap that burned the nst
:-).
 > >But im lucky my mate works at a local power platn and he just brings me
 > >pigs, PTs and thast for free ( aint he good ). But i discard them
becausee i
 > >keep only the ones that have a nice voltage and that. Now i got a epoxy
 > >potted nst rated for 10 kVac and want to make same sucess coil again. I
just
 > >finished repaintin this PT, adding wheels , cables, ballastand and he is
 > >ready to rock&roll. But im experiencing a big problem there are no caps
in
 > >Croatia so i must order internationaly. And i think using 3 - 4 kVac cap
on
 > >10 kV power supply is BS by my calculation i would need 300 geek group
caps
 > >( 150 nF 2 kvdc ) and that is equal to 900 $ + shipping!!! I learned my
 > >lesson about stretching the gap and so on but i seriously think and know
 > >that these caps if used by the chart will fail in a hurry. Il continue to
 > >thinks so until i see it with my own eyes and that is impossible ( you
are
 > >all too distanced from me ).
 >
 > I think you need to try to find the true peak voltage of your coils
primary
 > circuit.  If you are running full resonant and letting it resonate super
 > high, the voltage may be very very high! I DO NOT USE RESONANT ANYMORE ON
THIS SMALL COILS BUT THE BIGONES WILL USE IT. I CURRENTLY HAVE IN PLAN TO
MAKE XXXXXXXXX  TESLA COILS UNTIL I DYE ( IM 18 NOW YUPI ) AND 90 % WILL USE
RESONANT.

 > If you really want to run that high of voltage and have transformers that
 > can stand it, then you should use very high voltage capacitors.  Maybe
 > 100kV!!  If you have tried an MMC before and it failed, the voltage may be
 > at least 3 times higher than expected. NEVER TRIED AN MMC BUT KNOW WHAT
WOULD HAPPEN

 > >This is my web site click the 1000 W tesla coil! But first click ulaz (
sory
 > >only Croatian ) :-)
 > >http://free-kc.htnet.hr/Kreso-Bukvic/
 > >
 > >Best regards
 > >Kreso Bukvic
 > >
 > >PS. Terry i would like to see the mmc that is overrated and works :-).
Nice
 > >try.
 >
 > If you are getting say 40, 50, 60kV...  Then a special MMC could be
 > designed to run at that high voltage.  If we knew the voltage, we could
 > calculate the MMC and see what it would cost. IM NOT GIVING FEW THOUSAND
BUCKS FOR MMC :-)