Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Actually, caps would have to be added in series as well....

In my MMC and TC designing efforts in the past, I have found that smaller
NST coils tend to stress MMCs more with respect to instantaneous
current.  The larger TCs, particularly with higher break rates, tend to
have a lower peak current per string, but a higher RMS current per
string.  The official peak current rating of the 942C20P15K is 432A per
cap, which is fairly easily exceeded by a factor of 2 or 3 on an NST coil
(single string, low primary inductance).  On the other hand a 5kVA PDT coil
will require maybe 5 strings, increasing the peak current rating to 2100A -
considerably higher than the peak current JavaTC gave me the last time I
"designed" a ~5kVA TC with it.

So I would argue that an MMC offers more than adequate current rating for a
larger PDT tesla coil and that a commercial pulse capacitor will not offer
a significant (or any!) improvement over a similarly-rated MMC (or even
under-rated MMC, as is the "trend").  The disadvantage of an MMC for a
larger TC then, in my opinion, is the physical size of the MMC and the time
it takes to construct.

Of course, *opinions* seem to vary at this point, so I would be interested
to know if anyone has done a direct comparison between a "GeekMMC" and a
commercial pulse capacitor, particularly on larger TCs.  Several people,
including the esteemed Dr. R, have cited the "breakeven" figure of 5kVA,
and I'm curious to know how that number was arrived at.

Best regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group