Re: GE Solid State Thyratron

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi David,

Solid state thyratrons are simply SCR's packaged as plug-in replacements
for vacuum tube varieties. Common ones I've seen are designed to replace
4C35's but there may be others. There are similar devices to replace some
types of ignitrons as well.

Thyratrons are designed to discharge unipolar pulse forming networks, and
unless specially designed for the task, they cannot handle much reverse
current. Because most thyratrons can only safely pass current only in one
direction, you'll need to either need to insure that the thyratron quenches
early (the first positive half cycle, and long before before
Primary-Secondary ringup has completed) or you'll need to use the
equivalent of a freewheeling diode across the thyratron to carry the
reverse current. An unprotected thyratron that arcs back under reverse
voltage conditions can be easily damaged or destroyed. BTW, there are also
H2 diodes that are designed for just this task, but they are scarce.

Because of the reduced operating pressure (fewer conducting carriers),
thyratrons are even lossier than spark gaps. For certain pulsed power
applications they more accurate/repeatable triggering, better quenching,
higher rep rates, and lower maintenance than spark gaps. Unfortunately,
Tesla coils are not one of the applications that benefits from thyratrons.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP