Re: What medicinal equipment uses HV caps?

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Eric,
It is getting hard to find places where you can go to salvage parts. The
local junkyard where I went as a kid with my father is now a recycler --
nothing stays there very long before getting cut up, shredded, and loaded
in to rail cars for a trip to the steel mill or smelter.  If I happen to
get there when there is something interesting, they might sell it to me,
but there is no inventory as such.

However, the place does have a back gate, and I know one of the guys who
works there, and a $20 bill makes a great key on a Saturday morning when
the administration is not there.  I've tried to educate him about what
sorts of transformers, variacs, and caps might be interesting, so
occasionally, interesting incoming pieces get shunted to the back lot for
my  perusal.

YMMV, but you might try some promising places on a Saturday AM.  See if you
can talk to the employees instead of the front office.  Most of the grunts
are paid little above the minimum wage, and will frequently be helpful for
a little tip on the side.  Bring your hard hat, work gloves, and thick
boots.  A comprehensive set of tools to extract what you want in the
minimum of time is a good idea as well.  Don't look for a lot of help from
the staff, and keep out of the way of the heavy machinery. Scrapyards are
dangerous places even in the best of times.

Even auto yards sometimes take in other equipment for metal value, so it's
worth asking, even if you just get a "no".  In today's lousy economy, few
places can afford to turn down any additional income.

HTH,
Dave