Re: Arc distance was MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Virtualgod" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
 > Is there a chart
 > somewhere that gives ac arc distances vs. rms voltage? Found a few dc ones,
 > but no ac.

For the initial breakout, there is no influence of the frequency. What
happens after this may be different. The streamers that we see in Tesla
coils would not appear at low frequency, for example.
And arc distance depends on the shape of the electrodes, and even on
the voltages at both relative to ground, not only on the difference.
My program Inca can calculate breakdown voltages for several geometries
with axial symmetry (two spheres, two stacked toroids, sphere-plane,
etc.).
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs

I still have to include Paschen's law in the calculations. I could
verify that the values for low breakdown voltages (~1000 V) are not
correct.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz