Re: 1.75" x 6" spun aluminum toroids available

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 5/3/04 10:33:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: Cody Carse <cac619-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>I was wondering if maybe you would tell me how you make these. They look
>great. I would buy one but i just dont have the money, as I am a poor
>college student. Do you use a lathe? If you would rather not say, I totally
>understand.

I don't keep any secrets about the techniques.  I show some pictures
of the process at my website at:

<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

click on toroids.  You may have to then click on another link for more
info/pictures.  Yes, a lathe is used.  Two wooden forms the shape of a toroid
half is turned to shape.  One form is shaped to form the inner well area
of the toroid.  The other form shapes the outer edge.  The metal is then
forced to shape itself to the form's contours by using a straight metal
spinning tool with a rounded edge.  I use other tools to make a lip so
the half-toroids can be fitted together.  I then either glue the edges
or rivet the center to hold them together.

John