Re: Corrected di-el strength of gas

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi John,

Obviously the spark gap must be completely immersed in a pressurized pure
hydrogen atmosphere to avoid other "interesting" effects. The combustion
hazard is eliminated by thoroughly purging the chamber of residual oxygen
prior to firing (possibly via an N2 purge). While typical recovery times
for common dielectric gases such as air, nitrogen, argon, and SF6 is of the
order of 10 milliseconds, hydrogen recovers about one order of magnitude
more quickly - about 1 millisecond, and under the right circumstances,
recovery times can be pushed down to as little as 100 usec even when
switching multi-kilojoule energy levels.

For example, in the April, 1991 issue (volume 38, Issue 4) of IEEE
Transactions on Electron Devices, Stuart Moran and Leonard W. Hardesty from
the Naval Surface Warfare Center reviewed their work using a pressurized,
unblown hydrogen triggered spark gap (trigatron) with copper-tungsten
(Elkonite) main and trigger electrodes. They were easily able to achieve
recovery times of ~1 millisecond, and were able to reduce this to 100 usec
without forcing gas through the gap. Best results were obtained by
undervolting the gap (using ~50% of the self-breakdown voltage) combined
with high trigger voltages. Pressures were varied from atmospheric up to 7
MPa (~1000 psig). Although the power levels were MUCH higher than those
used in TC's - they were able to achieve 100 usec recovery in a trigatron
that handled a 50 kV 170 kA current pulse (12.5 kJ!) by using a trigatron
pressurized to 400 psig of H2 - without using flowing gas.

More recent work by a team at the Prather Air Force Research Laboratory
(IEEE 12th Pulsed Power Conference, 1999) confirms similar results using a
sealed pressurized H2 trigatron. The device can switched 70 Joule pulses at
600 Hz (>40 kW!) with no gas replenishment over a 1 year period.

Looks like hydrogen (or deuterium) is the king for rapid quenching... :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP