Re: Cap Start Motor

Hi All,

Thanks to all who responded.  Franklin Electric did respond with a schematic
of the hook up.  For those curious about these things, I got closer to the
correct answer but was still wrong.

The start winding (11 ohm coil) is indeed separate from the main winding
(the 6 ohm coil) and sharing only a common ground (neutral).  The start cap
is indeed remote.  The info missing from my understanding was how the switch
works.  It is a relay where the selonoid carries the main winding current.
The switch closes when the main winding current gets above a certain level
(like with a stalled motor at start up).  The switch closure hooks the start
cap to the start winding and after start when the main winding current
drops, the switch opens and disconnects the start winding.

BTW, I think I got my variac fixed. The coil was good (no shorts between
turns).  I hooked up 120VAC to the whole coil to demagnitize it and then
thru its circuit breaker and I can now power up without the circuit breaker
tripping all the time.  My theory is that the core was left magnetized.
Does this hold water?

Gerry R