Re: Inverse conical primary

I'm not sure what you sec coil dia. is, but if it's 4 inches OD or greater,
then just use a flat spiral primary.  Even with flat spirals the sec. coil
has to be elevated a bit to achieve the best performance.

If you should use an inverse cone coil, keep the max. angle at 15 degrees.
It's best to use the flat spiral.
For example, a 6 inch dia. sec usually has to be elevated 2.5 inches above
the flat primary plane for best performance.  An 18 inch dia. sec coil is
elevated 6.5 inches and a 24 inch dia. sec has to be elevated a whopping 9
inches for best performance.  These factors can depend on other variables so
it's best to just use chips of 1/2 inch plywood and experiment to see what
fits your system for best performance.

Keep the innermost pri to coilform distance a standard 1.5 inches.

If you have the material and time to experiment, you can use a 1/4 inch dia.
x 6 inch long brass stud out of the bottom of your sec coil.  Use a 1 x 1
inch brass plate approx 1/2 inch thick on the underside of your oscillator
base that is tapped to 1/4-20 NC.  A small 6-32 hole is tapped into the
bottom of the solid plate to allow a ground connection.  The thick 1/2 inch
plate is attached to your ground via this connection.  This allows you to
screw the coil up and down until you find the best results.  We have used a
90 degree flex drive attached to a small 20 RPM DC motor which allows you to
run the coil up and down by remote control while the coil is in operation.
You will quickly see where you hit the best performance.  Later, the motor
and flex drive are removed for normal operation.

Have fun!

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.