Re: higher current ammeter sources

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Sunday, May 9, 2004 9:18 pm
Subject: Re: higher current ammeter sources

 > Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters-at-konnections-dot-net>
 >
 > David,
 >
 > Just make your own from a lower range meter and a home-made shunt.
 > You can
 > use a length of copper or iron wire or strap and keep reducing the
 > length of
 > it, shunted across the meter, until your full scale reading is
 > what you
 > need.  For example, for a 0 to 100 amp meter, it is best to use a
 > 0 to 1 or
 > 0 to 10 amp meter with a shunt to make reading the actual value
 > from the
 > meter scale easier (x10 or x100).  You can also buy meter shunts
 > from some
 > electronic distributors.
 > --Steve Y.

Steve,

Ok, so you're saying that you can use another coil of
wire as a shunt in parallel with the input terminals
of a smaller ammeter to make the full scale reading a
given fraction of the total amperage? I suppose that
you'd have to use another ammeter or clamp-on to cali-
brate the shunt?

David Rieben