RE: SSTC hits 66"

Original poster: jimmy hynes <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hey everyone,

 > On Jimmy's and
 > my coils, the streamers seemed quite dim, but ground strikes were
 > light-up-the-room bright. Maybe your higher resonant frequency has something
 > to do with it? Jimmy H and I run at 66kHz, you are using 110kHz IIRC? Or is
 > it just your camera?

It may be due to the longer on times too. Steve said that the sparks with
longer on times looked
thicker than with short rise times. Of course, the camera settings and
stuff have to be taken into
account.

 > Also Dan and Steve have some very nice photos, Jimmy just had some
 > video stills that don't really do the beast justice.

I put some more pictures on my website, from a long time ago. The arcs are
all really small in the
pictures :-(. I only have movies of the 79" strikes, and I can't find the
cord to capture them on
the computer :-/

 > BTW- It might look like all the monster SSTC builders are competing, but
 > really I would say it is a collaborative effort. It's only competition in so
 > far as we all egg each other on to build bigger and bigger coils.

I definatly agree here. If Steve C. hadn't given me any help, we'd probably
be talking about OLTCs
right now ;-). If I didn't want Steve W. to succeed, I would have suggested
adding a series
resistor instead of capacitor :-P

Maybe we should find a way to work together and build an electrum sized
coil :-)

=====
Jimmy