Re: SSTC hits 66"

 > Having said this, I reckon the DRSSTC is extensible to 10-15 foot arcs,
 > using a full bridge of four CM600 type bricks, careful low impedance
 > construction, and a 600V DC bus (derived from rectified 3-phase 480V line,
 > or failing that, from 240 single phase through a boost converter PFC) with
 > massive low impedance electrolytic cap bank.
 >
 > I think the main obstacles are cost of film/electrolytic cap banks,
 > shielding the drive circuits from the colossal E-M fields, space for
testing
 > it, power supply (not everyone has a 32A 3-phase service, or a 15kW boost
 > converter) and getting it all to work without blowing out 20 sets of
bricks
 > :(

I should think that if one is spending the bucks for all those IGBT bricks,
that investing in a surplus 20 HP 3 phase motor to make 3 phases from 1
wouldn't be a big deal.  Since you're dealing with a massive system anyway,
the mass/volume/etc savings from a 15kW boost converter probably wouldn't be
worthwhile.