Slide-choke construction

Original poster: "Erik Byng" <ebyng-at-knox.edu>

Hey list:
A while back, in a post titled "the amazing variable choke," someone
mentioned that they'd build themselves a slide choke, running a bundle of
epoxied steel rods through a pvc form with the coil wound on it.  I'm now
thinking of building one myself, but the dimensions I'm a little shakey on.
I have a +/-300ft roll of 10ga thhn which seems up to the challange, but
should it be wound with very few layers on a long form, or many layers on a
short form?  I would think that to get the most out of the rod's travel, it
would have to be wound long..  5 or so coil layers over ten inches of travel
sound decent?

Erik