Re: Copper toroid

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Richard Modistach" <hambone-at-dodo-dot-com.au>
 >
 > having worked large amounts of copper plate, bar and pipe,
 > dipping it in warer does nothing for the annealing process,
 > it mearly cools it down quick so one can get on with working it,
 > heat it till it just starts to glow, once it reaches that stage the
 > annealing is complete and how it is cooled is irrelivant.

I really didn't try to let copper pieces cool slowly. Cooling
them fast surely works, and of course, is quick. I let aluminum
parts cool slowly, and this appears to produce better annealing.

 > mechanical working tempers the copper quickly, so sometimes
 > re-annealing is required whilst working into shape. especially
 > if back shaping or stage drawing is done.

In spinning copper, I usually have to anneal 4-5 times during the
procedure. Less with aluminum, more with brass.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz