From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 8:23 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Self-Resonant SSTC topologies

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

David-

Before I became "burned out" on SSTCs, I successfully used as feedback a
signal derived from the return end of the secondary.  Just feed that
through a low resistance (10-50 ohms perhaps) to ground.  Couple the
(sine wave) voltage across that resistance through 1K ohms or so to a
pair of back-to-back diodes, also to ground.  Take the voltage across
those diodes, amplify it, and use it to drive the MOSFETs or IGBTs.

You may need to connect a capacitor across the low resistance in order
shift the phase appropriately.  Also, of course, you must be sure that
the amplified signal is in phase and not 180 degrees out, for driving
the
transistors.

This technique causes the system always to be in tune with the
secondary's Fr.  Also, it's self-starting, with sufficient amplification
to allow noise to do that job.  I used it with an untuned primary; with
tuned primary...I don't know.

Good luck.  Be sure to provide a big enough container for receiving your
burned-out transistors.  I'd suggest a 55 gal. oil drum.

Ken Herrick
Oakland, CA USA