Re: SSTC design procedure

Hi Lewis,

At 09:17 AM 5/19/2004, you wrote:
>Hello Group:
>
>I'm new to the Tesla world, and I have a question:  I've heard the subject
>of the famous Tesla Coil so much in the past few years, yet I have no
>understanding of it's practicality.  The information I have seems to
>indicate that it's simply a device that gives a blue light and can knock you
>off your feet and into the next world if something goes wrong.
>
>My question, is the power of the coil controllable as a power source?

Probably not in the way you mean.  It is sort of like heating your home
with natural lightning, probably not a "practical" thing at all.

>Is it just a hobby thing to pour money into so that you have  a "Tesla Coil"

Yes!! ;-)

>Or is there a practical use of this coil.

It sees use in Hollywood special effects and maybe some electrical testing
applications, but 99% of us play with them just for fun.

>We live two miles from the Grid
>in far north Idaho and a practical coil or fuelless power source would be a
>boon and saviour for those of us dependent on solar systems that only work
>during summer months and gas hog generators.
>
>Any information on this would be appreciated.  We have plans for fuelless
>engine, but so far have not the whatever to build it, but it is a ongoing
>hope.  Any information on this coil and its practicality will be
>appreciated.

Tesla coils eat up large amounts of power to run.  If you have the power to
run a Tesla coil, an extension cord from that power source to run your
lights too is vastly more economical.  Although Tesla himself was hoping to
transmit electricity for practical uses, that was never to be due to vast
technical reasons.

In your case, I would get a standard generator and be happy ;-)

Cheers,

         Terry