RE: SSTC design procedure

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Steve C.

On 19 May 2004, at 8:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > In untuned primary SSTCs, the primary turns and coupling determine
 > inverter loading and power transfer. Less turns gives more power, but
 > more magnetizing current, which is bad as it increases device losses.
 > Tighter coupling gives more power but does not increase the
 > magnetizing current. So it's best to use the tightest coupling
 > possible, and reduce the turns until your inverter is maxed out. (You
 > can tell how heavily it's loaded by measuring the peak primary current
 > with a ferrite cored current transformer, and comparing to the
 > MOSFET/IGBT datasheet absolute max rating.)
 >
 > Note: DR/ISSTCs have no magnetizing current because of the tuned
 > primary, so you can use as few primary turns as you want.

Would you please define "magnetizing current" as you see it as
applied to air-cored coils and explain how putting a capacitor in
series with a coil eliminates it?

      Thanks for confirming what I understand to be the general state-
of-the-art regarding SSTC design.

Malcolm