Re: this was probably really stupid

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >What could possibly cause lightning to favor a running
 >coil? If it's the high voltage, transmission lines
 >carry hundreds of thousands of volts, yet I've never
 >seen a pattern on the local news when they show plots
 >of lightning strikes.

 >Adam
     A Power line is limited to about 345kV to avoid corona formation
whereas a Tesla coil produces corona and promotes leader formation
intentionally.   Now if there is a coiler somewhere in south central
Florida(lightning capital of the USA) who can build one in a large open
field and can make a very good ground (which seems to be harder than
expected here in North Florida - cannot assume a 160 ft deep well casing
will actually make a good ground here strangely enough),  and finally could
set up some kind of tower that it at least as tall as a big power
line.....who know's?     Any coilers in Florida have some money to burn for
the sake of the ultimate spark length record?
Amusingly,
Mike