Re: Panasonic MMC bit the dust...

Hi Brett,

At 07:45 PM 5/25/2004, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Well, my Terry Fritz inspired MMC (made up of
>Panasonic caps) finally died.

Whaaaaa!!!

>During a run of my 6"
>system two days ago, I decided to open up the spark
>gap a bit more than usual (which I've done many times
>over the years) in order to force a few more inches of
>output.  There was a flash and then yellow-orange
>flame seen through the lexan window on my HDPE mmc
>box.

Hey!!! maybe it is just normal "out gassing" there :o)))  I note on another
group that this is called "venting with flame!!" :o)))))))))

>  I haven't really had time to do an autopsy or
>even a close examination, but I will post pictures for
>your enjoyment.
>
>The one time I did glance at the caps, I noticed
>several had cracked their sides...something that has
>been happening to a lesser extent with a few of the
>caps in the array for some time prior to this failure.

That is over voltage blowout.  Those caps tend to bust their case when a
high voltage "event" happens.  They self heal, to a "point"...

>The most important thing to realize is that this is a
>resonant system and I often push it to huge gap sizes
>just to see if it will take it.  I have a pretty big
>collection of components from home brew, ebay etc, and
>for me, failures like this are fun an educational.
>Also, this mmc has been working exactly as
>is...untouched, in this same (and occationally other)
>system for nearly *5 years* now!  For those who have
>been on the list as long and longer than I have, you
>will proabably remember several of my posts bragging
>about the toughness and effciency of the Panasonic
>MMC.  I wouldn't hesitate to use these caps again in
>future MMC's.  If you look at my 6" coil stats on
>hot-streamer, you will find that, yes I am running
>Vpeak and peak current over specs.  Way over if you
>factor in the measurments some have taken for voltages
>in a resonant TC system.

Terry wants your caps!!!   To check them all out!!!  I'll repay all
expenses and I got some Geek style caps to replace them here too
;-))  Great data point to see how well the MMC faired...

You know where to find me:

Terry Fritz
641 S. Loomis Ave.
Fort Collins, Colorado