RE: magnetic fields in spark gaps

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all,
If you go to this
page:
<http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/>http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/
, a little more than halfway down, there is a drawing of a plasma shock
wave generater that would, if used without the plasma chamber, could
possibly be used as a self-magnetic quenching gap. Even though we would
have a LC (add an inductor to the drawing) circuit, the magnetic fields
would always be in opposition causing the arc to be pushed away from the
conductor.  I would imagine some good insulator(mica comes to mind) would
be needed to allow the conductor to be in close proximity to the gap
without shorting the circuit.
Just a thought,
Mike