Re: 4.5 inch coil upgrade

Hi, Steve,

Since you are using a static gap your PF should be around .5 (assuming that
your gaps are set to not overvolt.  JF formula (1.7 sqrt (0.5 * 12K * 0.06))
yields 32 inches so you are doing good.  You could increase k somewhat by
adding those two inner turns, but I would still keep the coil flat.  You can
increase k by raising the primary relative to the secondary but not so high
that you get racing arcs or attract sec to pri strikes.  Doing so could
lower your gap losses somewhat.  The biggest way to increase power to the
secondary with your setup is to go to a SRSG.  This will allow you to charge
a larger Cp and get more energy per bang.

Gerry R