Insulating Boards (was Homemade PCBs!)

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Eric writes:
>I'm going to try something soon...any tips on making a PCB insulated to
>15000 volts?

Matthew replies:

1) Keep traces as far apart as possible.
2) Pot the PCB.  Commercial potting compounds that I've seen are a two-part
mix that leaves your board in a lump of black yuk.  Virtually impossible to
service.
3) Look up "conformal coating" on your vendor's Web site - these are spray
or paint on coatings of acrylic/silicone/etc.  These insulate and protect
the board from environmental attack.
4) Put it in an oil bath.  If you're working with power devices, this can
also help with cooling.

If you're building an MMC or any multi-stage device, you may not need any
form of extra insulation provided that you make the whole thing linear and
observe appropriate spacing of the traces.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy