Magnetic Polarity Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

[belatedly..../OT]

> > Trick question: does the north of a compass needle point to the north or
> > the south pole of a magnet?  I would say it would point to the
> > SOUTH of the magnet.
>
>I had been thinking this same question during the past few weeks.  The north
>of a compass needle points to the north of a magnet.  This is because the
>"north" needle is really a "south" needle in order for it to point north.

    The definition of North Magnetic Pole is That Which Points Geographic
    North.  Period.

    THIS means that the Earth's Geographic North Pole is associated with
    a SOUTH magnetic polarity there (actually: Northern Canada, or the
    nearby ice pack...  8)>>)

    (yes: it is counterintuitive and mind bending.  Also true..
    Had it cross checked by a physicist once.  For experimental
    verification:
    Wind a solenoid, observing 'left hand' rule for winding direction,
    connect DC PSU in Specified Polarity and check compass...

    This is an Ancient and Honored Brain Twister....
    )
    best
      dwp