RE: Best cap size for a sync gap

Hi Gary,

At 08:54 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>Yes, the NST did indeed hum.  No problem though, when the secondary is
>hooked up and the streamers are flying, no one will ever hear the
>humming ;-)

Loud humming is a sign that the cores/shunts are going into
saturation.  That allows far higher than expected output currents and would
explain how you can charge a much larger cap than we would normally
expect.  I am pretty sure that is what is happening here.  As long as the
NST voltage does not go too high, it should work fine!!  NSTs can handle
pretty high output currents for a short time (hours).  Current limiting may
not longer be controlled by the shunts but rather by the core itself
saturating.

The trick is to figure out how we can all run NSTs like this with all kinds
of different brands of NSTs.  I am pretty sure that different NSTs will
have all kinds of variations as to this effect.

>An "SLTR" system - I'll have to enter that into the lexicon of acronyms
>or abbreviations or whatever.  It's about time we came up with some new
>ones, the solid state guys were pulling ahead with all their new ones.

SLTR has actually been around a few years but little used.  Your coil
actually started the term.  I was always afraid I would blow my few NSTs
trying it.

>I'll put it on my to-do list to repeat the experiment at 120VAC, as soon
>as I find another round-tuit.  Who knows, I may even get around to
>hooking up the secondary and making sparks.

It should do very well.  Try to note if the NST seems to heat up very quickly.

>I do have an analog 2KW wattmeter (never used it though).  What was it
>you wanted to measure?

The "real" power input.  That will give us an idea of how much better the
SLTR thing is running.  Sounds like power is increased about 30%.

Do you have other NSTs that this works for, or just one?  If we could
figure out if many or any NSTs could be run like this, then maybe it would
be one of those revolutionary advancements!!

Cheers,

         Terry