Re: Determine initial LTR cap size. was Best cap size for a sync gap

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

>These two programs were used by Mark Broker to make the GeekGroup chart
>that everyone goes by now.

I used a multiplier of 2.6 in the chart for triggered gap LTR, which was
the value used, in a round about way, by MMCCalc2.  I still use the
spreadsheet, which I taylored to "our" caps, to do MMC design work for
non-NST-powered TCs :)

I would like to use the optimal multipler, but I suspect that using 3.14
will lead to problems with TCs that have relatively high resistive losses -
ie those that use a Terry Filter - or with "suboptimal" NSTs.  But on the
other hand I'd rather not go too low and risk over voltages, which I think
have only really been demonstrated by Gerry in SPICE.  I have stuck with
the 2.6 since Terry once said (perhaps it's still on his site?) that this
value gave the best performance on his system(s) and it seems, to me, to be
a good compromise of the aforementioned reasons.  It also makes the MMC
designs pretty good - a higher required capacitance would necessarily mess
up the "nice" MMC designs for Triggered gap LTR.

I'm open to input and will gladly do whatever the data indicates is best.

Cheers!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group