I slotted my 1256B variac core, now...

Original poster: "Terry Oxandale" <toxandale-at-cei-dot-net>

Today I undertook the painful venture of slotting my variac core to reduce
the tendency to saturate when used to vary inductive ballasting. After
searching the archives I was unable to find any reference to a recommended
width of the gap that now exists in the core. Is the width of this gap
critically important, or just the fact that one has been created? Currently
the gap is about .060" (the width of the blade used to cut it) and as has
been mentioned many times, it is a coiled band of strap that is straining at
the clamps wanting to bust open. Should I widen this gap some, or will this
be sufficient.

Thanks,

Un-Terry