Re: Hi Power Discharge "Disruptive"

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Steve Conner wrote:

 > I should like to think we are getting there in qualitative
 > terms at least.

Yes, I think this is the way progress will be made.  It's no
good sitting around waiting for some theoriest to come up with
a streamer load model that you can go test.

 > I now use streamer load modelling in SSTC and OLTC simulations,
 > with an empirical model based on practical work done by Terry Fritz,
 > Richie Burnett, and myself.

 > ... the streamer load "ate" the energy in a way that corresponded
 > roughly to the "loaded Q of 6" rule of thumb that Malcolm Watts
 > proposes.

That sounds good.  Is it anything like the load model suggested in
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2004/October/msg00088.html

 > I found that the top voltage with a breakout point installed was
 > 50-75% of the roughly 600kV it would have been with no streamer.

How are you measuring topvolts?  Through an E-field probe calibrated
against the predicted topvolts at small signals?   If so then you're
measuring a signal proportional to Q in Q = CV where both C and V
are variables.  During breakout the 'coupling coefficient' C will
increase above your small signal calibration value due to presence of
streamers - if the probe is anywhere near the topload the increase
might be quite high.   If that were the case, the actual voltage
reached might be rather less than the 50-75% estimated from the
probe readings.  Does it seem reasonable that going from an unloaded
Q of several hundred to a loaded Q of less than 10 say, you would only
see 50% reduction of peak voltage attained?  If you turn to the model
and impose a load sufficient to give a very low Q like 6, then does
the model show a similar 50-75% voltage reduction, or more?

The challenge I think will be to show that the E-field probe
calibration factor C is controlled and its variation compensated for.

 > http://scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/experiment/

Looks like a very professional setup you have there. The noise spikes
in the image 100bps_36in_closeup.jpg are interesting.  I hope you
can home in on those - are they definately from the discharge and
not the primary or something?   There's an initial strong burst of
HF just as the system fires, so you must be picking up something
more than just topload discharge.

 > Note the "loaded" and "unloaded" results were done with different
 > drive voltages.

Yes, that's to be expected.

It's very nice to see an OLTC being used for a purpose for which it's
ideally suited.  I hope we can hear more about the stuff going on there,
are you working by yourself?
--
Paul Nicholson