Re: Side-wise Vectors?????

Original poster: "Mike" <induction-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi John and All,
                           You are likely looking at Birkeland Currents. Do
a Google search, there was a site called electric-cosmos dot org that had
great pictures but it seems to be down. I found some links which I post
here for you related to this effect.
I've seen this at low pressures in a 2 feet by 6 feet tube when driven with
RF, also seen it driven with DC. Low pressure makes it easier because the
breakdown voltage is so much lower, after ignition ~10 volts an inch. Also
know of reports from other plasma people, RF driven smaller tubes than the
one we have produced a twin spiral, reported it looked much brighter at or
near the cross over points inside the vacuum.
I've seen it at 100 militorr, 1 Torr and 5 Torr. Outside reports have it at
1 to 50 Torr in that RF driven example above. As you are looking at it sea
level (760 Torr), the pressure required is not the issue but more, the
voltage and magnetic environment levels. You don't get to "see" the current
itself but you do get to see the photons from the ionized gas, so you do
get to see the shape of the currents' path. See the links, some nice reading.
http://www.brainyencyclopedia-dot-com/encyclopedia/k/kr/kristian_birkeland.html

http://www.physicsforums-dot-com/archive/t-4014_birkeland_currents.html

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wcurrent.html

http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/elec_currents.htm