Re: History

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>"All:  Here's a link to a photo that's been on my web for years but if
>you
>haven't viewed it yet, well, there's not much of an excuse.  Note
>Tesla's
>right ear and the 'dwarfish' nature of Dr. Steinmetz.  Strangely
>weird.......
>http://www.frankensteinslab-dot-com/images/teslaphoto.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>John F. Cooper
>Irvine, CA
>www.Tesla-Coil-dot-com
>www.FrankensteinsLab-dot-com"
>     What's so weird?  Steinmetz was deformed (physically, not mentally) and
>"Tesla's ear" appears to be just a trick of the shadows.  What's weird
>to me is the look on the guys faces - not at all happy!  I've seen this
>picture before along with speculation that it was a fake.  Anybody know
>more?
>Ed
>
>.

Hi John and Ed,

Unfortunately, the man between Einstein and Steinmetz was apparently NOT
Nikola Tesla after all, but an engineer from AT&T by the name of John
Carson. This is from noted Tesla historian Leland Anderson as related by
author Dr. Mark Seifer - see Seifer's comments below:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/teslinasite/oltcp.html

"Tesla has been linked to Einstein because of a famous photo which was
taken on April 23, 1921 in New Brunswick, New Jersey in celebration of a
new RCA transatlantic broadcasting station that was being put in operation.
Present at the event were scientists and corporate heads from RCA, GE and
AT&T including Charles Steinmetz, Irving Langmuir, David Sarnoff and Albert
Einstein. Standing in between Steinmetz and Einstein was a man who
resembled Nikola Tesla. I, myself, thought it was Tesla, and wrote an
article which included this assumption for the 1986 ITS Symposium. Margaret
Cheney and also R.G. Williams in their respective biographies also did the
same thing.

After conferring with Leland Anderson and searching back to original
sources which included the an article in the New York Herald, and the
original caption for the photo, it has been determined that the man
standing between Einstein and Steinmetz was one John Carson, who was an
engineer for AT&T. This photo has also been doctored to air-brush out all
individuals except for Einstein and Steinmetz by the GE people who use it
to imply a special relationship between Steinmetz and Einstein."

BTW you can see the "before and "after" portions of the GE doctored picture
here:
http://www.radlab-dot-com/information/AC-DC.html

Sorry, and best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print