Re: foil-covered inner-tubes for large toroids?

Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com>

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the pointers :^) I have seen websites where they did use
the flexible PVC drainage pipe for the toroid form. I think 4" is about
the largest that can be found at Lowes, at least locally (Memphis), but
I have seen the same kind of pipe that looked to be 12" in diameter
at a farm/tractor supply place. That would give me the minor diameter
that I'm looking for but I wonder how managable this stuff would be
to try to bend into a "donut" shape? It looks like it would be consi-
derably  more unwieldy than the 4" stuff :^O Any more pointers
on that issue? I'd love to be able to make a say 12 x 54 or so
toroid for a large toroid capacitance is the key to making HUGE
sparks, assuming you have the power to push them and that should
not be a problem here as I have a 10 kVA and a 15 kVA pole
transformer at my deposal. They are both 14,400 volt units. I
suppose that I could stack 2 or more 4" thick toroids to get an
effective larger minor diameter but I'd rather have one larger
minor diametered toroid.

Thanks,
David Rieben