RE: replacing the spark gap with SCRs

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >the coil I'd have to
 >build in order to use them to full spec and stay within the di/dt
 >ratings would occupy most of the space in the garage

Malcolm said it! SCRs have a critical rate of rise of current (di/dt) at
turn-on. If the L, C, and charging voltage of your primary is such that this
rate would be exceeded, the SCR doesn't have time to go into full
conduction, and blows itself to bits.

The very fastest GTO SCRs have di/dt such that your coil needs a resonant
frequency of 25kHz or less to make full use of the current rating.

The di/dt in my OLTC II is about 2000A/us.

Steve C.