Re: Rotary Spark Gap Design

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

440 VAC won't be enough to operate your sparkgap. You do need a NST is you are running a classic HV circuit and not SSTC. The lowest reliable potential is 3 kV min.

Don't use a wooden disk.  Most wood contains some moisture (3-5%) and will
not hold off the high voltages -- especially RF voltages which like to track
across surfaces such as wood.  Or, worse, it might start smoldering
internally.  Then, you shut off the lights, go to bed, and wake up to
discover your shop or home on fire.  Use type CE or LE phenolic or G-10
phenolic plate for the rotor.

Be safe!!

Dr. Resonance