Re: Terry's DRSSTC

Original poster: "Sue Gaeta" <sgsparky@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brett,

That's how I started out in all this too. I built a coil from Robert Ianini's book, before I had any idea about how tuned circuits even worked! When I built my first one, I could draw bigger sparks out of the OBIT that powered it than I could from the coil. It's good to start out with a tube coil before playing with solid state since they are a lot more forgiving. The solid state ones are a whole different beast though, at least for me it was a long learning curve, but it's worth it. You may end up with a pile of carbon where silicon devices used to live, but you learn a lot in the process!

If you do go solid state, it would be better to start off getting Dan's boards rather than to start out the way I did with a vector board. Start with a small SSTC using smaller inexpensive fets like the IRFP460s or P260s then move up to the bigger stuff later.

Sue

Original poster: "Brett Miller"

Terry, Sue, et. all,

--- Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz
>

> Hi Sue,
>
> At 01:24 PM 11/24/2004, you wrote:
> >Me Too!
> >
> >I am glad to see that there is someone else is
> still working on these things.
>
> I guess there are "two" of us now :o)))

Just wanted to say that I for one, am rooting for you
guys in this research (not to mention everything Steve
Ward, Dan and others have done) and have been keeping
an eye on it. It almost feels like it was when I was
a young kid and reading stuff from Robert Ianini's
books in the 80's about SG Tesla Coils and wondering
if I would ever understand their theory. Now it seems
so simple. I guess I could have kept up with all of
this if I would have devoted more of my spare time to
study. I've been really busy in the ham radio hobby
for 95% of 2004, and 2005 will probably be more of the
same.

In spite of that I've been exploring VTTC's and am in
the process of building my first in the form of a
single 833A based coil. It's going slow though, since
I'm buying the components bit by bit with spare money.

Anyway, my point is that if you guys keep working on
this we will soon have a stable DRSSTC driver that
someone like me could clone in order to get hands on
experience with the technology and learn from it, with
the eventual goal of hopefully innovating. This
sounds like some really exciting stuff.

-Brett
www.hot-streamer.com/brett