Re: RSG and NST's

Hi Gary, Dr,

I'm not too sure which one of you are "right" on this ;^) I have
experienced near cascading failure of an NST farm when try-
ing to run an asynch rotary gap with them! I'm not too sure
what the BPS rate was but I think it was in the 300 to 350
range - 6 rotary electrodes on a 3450 rpm motor. Anyway,
I had (6) 15/30 NSTs in parallel and almost as soon as I
fired it off, the output quickly went down to almost zero. In-
spection revealed that one of the transformers had failed.
Once this transformer was removed and I was operating
on 5, the same thing happened again almost immediately
after power up. So now I had 4. Didn't take long to figure
out that this was NOT going to work :^O I don't think 300
or so bps would be considered LOW bps. One thing that
I am pretty sure of is that whether or not high bps is more
stressful on the transformer from resonant rise or whatever,
it is more stressful on the primary capacitor due to higher
RMS currents. This particular .083 uFd, 84 kV cap was
quite robust though and never even "hiccupped" then or
for the next several years after that after I had finally upgraded
the transformer(s) to a single 10 kVA, 14,400 volt pole
pig and got bright, thick 8 to 10 ft. sparks for runs of se-
veral minutes of non-stop operation at a time. So for me,
NSTs are just too fragile for serious coiling and since
using pole pigs, transformer failures have ceased , with or
without any type of protection/filter circuitry ;^)

David Rieben