RE: Equalizing resistors for electrolytic capacitors

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>This is for a DC tesla coil filter cap

Like mine :P I used series strings of 22uF 450V caps, with a 220k equalizing
resistor across each one. This is a rather lower resistance than needed on
the grounds of equalising the voltages (you use the leakage current spec of
the caps to calculate that) but I chose it so the cap bank would drain down
to a safe level in 2 minutes (or something)

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/motmult.jpg

This level shifter/filter bank was used on the Tesla-2, which gave 40" arcs from a single MOT.

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/fryingtonight2.jpg
http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/tc2schem.html

Steve C.